Skip to content
When Bibi the tiny Maltese-shitzu cross was blown off a pier in gale-force winds, his despairing owner Sue Drummond feared the worst.
- Tiny speck: Bibi is tossed around in Melbourne’s bay after he was blown off Brighton pier by gale-force winds
But salvation came in a most unlikely form – a 20-year-old man who was on Brighton pier to scatter his grandmother’s ashes into the bay in Melbourne, Australia.
- ‘I thought I’d never see him again’: Owner Sue Drummond watches helplessly as Bibi tries to dog-paddle back to shore
As he was paying his respects, a quick-thinking Raden Soemawinata spotted a desperate Bibi, and stripped down to his shirt and underpants to dive after the terrified dog.
- To the rescue: Raden Soemawinata takes off his suit as he prepares to jump off the pier to save the Maltese-shitzu cross
But after the amazing rescue in Melbourne’s bayside suburb of Brighton, the hero was humble about his actions.
- Daring dive: Mr Soemawinata had no qualms about jumping in wearing his underpants, as a struggling Bibi looks on with hope
‘It was pretty cold and windy, but it wasn’t such a hard decision to jump in, it wasn’t such a great feat,’ he told Melbourne’s Herald Sun.
- Cold shock: Ms Drummond is reunited with her canine friend, as she thanks the heroic actions of Mr Soemawinata
‘I’m a part-time model, so getting into my jocks isn’t so different to what I do for work.’
A grateful Ms Drummond embraced Mr Soemawinata with relief after he pushed Bibi into her arms.
‘I thought he was going to sink and then maybe I wouldn’t be able to find him,’ she said.
- Hugging her doggy’s rescuer
‘But I didn’t really want to hop in the water either because I wasn’t quite sure if I could make it to shore with a struggling dog.’
- Relief: Bibi, seemingly unaware of the drama that just unfolded, is now back at home warm and fed and in the arms of his owner
Source: Daily Mail