This week, with the exception of Christmas Day, I am off of work and am spending the first week of my daughters’ Christmas vacation at home with them. With the hustle and bustle leading up to Christmas, I have had to make a conscious decision and effort to not allow household chores and errands monopolize our time off together. This twenty-second day of the month was our first official day of vacation together, and I made sure that we took time to have fun throughout the day. Here are some of the things we did that I hope both of my daughters remember when they look back on this time in their lives:
- Crawling into bed with me this morning to snuggle before starting the day
- Playing Twister
- Going to Starbucks for peppermint hot chocolate and vanilla bean scones for my oldest daughter and a chocolate chip cookie for my other daughter
- Another rousing chorus of Christmas carols as we drove in our car
- Taking in the “Lights Under Louisville” display, which is one of our favorite holiday traditions
- Making and devouring homemade pizza
- Watching Christmas shows
On Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, we will unwrap gifts under the Christmas Tree, but I felt like Christmas came early today with each of these sweetly simple moments. I hope that they felt the same way, too, as being in their presence is, was, and always will be the best present ever.
Just one thing each day . . .