There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that will make you as happy as one act of kindness toward someone else will. It feels right. It is good. It is simply the most beautiful experience ever.
You have the freedom to give. Use it.
(2) No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted ~ Aesop
Never ever think that something you do for another person is insignificant or won’t make a difference. Every kind word, thought or action counts. Every single one of those is precious.
(3) The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention ~ Oscar Wilde
Don’t waste time dreaming about a mission trip to the other side of the earth. Great, if it happens. Fine, if it doesn’t. You don’t have to become a full-time volunteer and spend several years abroad to feel you’ve done something worthwhile.
Do something tiny for someone right now!
(4) You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
People leave, move away, pass away… Sometimes unexpectedly. Regretting not having done something for them is painful. Better not leave a kind deed until tomorrow.
It feels really nice when the other person says thank you. It is wonderful seeing them smile and show gratitude. The reality is different. Some people will not return your kindness. We must carry on regardless.
(6) What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal ~ Albert Pike
Everyone would like to leave a positive footprint in history. It’s impossible to achieve that if your dear self is the sole consumer of all your efforts, money and energy. Choose to reach out to others instead.
(7) Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom ~ Theodore Rubin
Articles, books, talks, news, lectures and debates can only take you so far. Beyond that point, only first-hand experience can deepen your understanding of the world.
Through kindness we learn about unity and oneness, the purpose and the meaning of life.
(8) People are unreasonable, illogical and self-centered. Love them anyway. ~ Mother Theresa
Only being kind to people who “deserve” it, is not real kindness. Even people who you think are “worth” it, may disappoint you. Seeing people as “the deserving lot” and “the rest” will not help you to grow in kindness.
Try to be kind to all.
(9) Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~ Dalai Lama
Now, this is a tough one. You may need thousands hours worth of kindness “workouts” to get there. But practice makes perfect. If you commit to this path, eventually, it will get easier. You will be able to show kindness in difficult situations where most other people will turn away and walk past.
(10) No one is more worthy of your kindness and compassion than yourself ~ Thich Nhat Hahn
It is hard to have deep compassion for other people if you don’t know how to be kind to yourself. You are with yourself 24/7. It’s a perfect opportunity to practice acceptance, forgiveness and understanding toward this one person.
Elena loves going on retreats. Her favorite destinations are Benedictine convents and monasteries. Elena loves the gentle kindness of monks and nuns, and believes that we can do the same for other people.